I've complained about the FBI's Uniform Crime Report (UCR) archaic definition of rape before. Thankfully, the FBI is going to change this definition. Last week there was a piece over at the New York Times that looked at the societal shift in the definition of rape beyond what UCR currently considers a Forcible Rape.
States have been adjusting their definitions of rape for the past 30 years, many moving away from the insistence on evidence of force because most rapes do not result in harm to the woman separate from the act itself. The armed rapist and severely bruised victim, what some have called “real rape” or “legitimate rape,” account for 14 percent of rape cases, according to the Centers for Disease Control study.This change by UCR can't come soon enough. I'm sure the other 86% of rape victims not counted by UCR would agree.